Sunday, June 22, 2008

From Frustration, Anger......To Self Contentment!

The intention to do a write-up on 'why I give up my working life' has long been in my mind, but just waiting for the right time and mood to put it in writing.

If you have read my earlier blog dated 22nd February 2008 on "A sharing on my working life" you will understand what type of working life I am leading all these years. As mentioned, I continue to be a persistent worker despite all odds. From the beginning of my working life, I don't have the intention to work till I retire at the age of 55, my plan is to have an early retirement when I reach fifty. I have a reason for this decision..... "I don't intend to work till I look old, with grey hair or maybe by then being absent-minded or still working when I am a grandmother" and another thing is "my children would be all working by then, so can relax and enjoy life". Guess you all might be thinking what an old-fashioned person I am but personally I think of it as 'Bitter in the beginning and sweet in the end' - so since I've been working hard at a young age, so I deserve to retire earlier!

Working in a so called 'Giant' Company and in this Globalisation Era...... there are many drastic changes from time to time. Frequent top management changes really makes a chaos not only for the company but also for all employees, especially those of the lower levels! No matter how hard we work, our past records are not being seen as they never knew us at all. What they care is their own personal gain!!

The management have decided to Subsidiarised more of its Units or Sections as an easy way out to get rid of its employees - one after the other!! We can still tolerate at first as Options are given to the affected employees to choose. But situations got worst when management do not keep up to their promise and those who chose not to opt to the new subsidiary company are given Letter of Notice of Termination!!! "It is as good as no option given" - Take or Leave!!

We are indeed lucky as we are Unionised, and with a strong Union behind all it's employees the situations are being pursued. But off course, the affected workers' feelings of anger and frustrations are there with their work morale down!! This is the most torturing situations we've ever experienced in our working life!!

My dear friends, I am one of the affected people as mentioned...... with the Union's effort to settle the problem - the notice of termination is being withdrawn, and the affected staffs being redeployed but...... there is still no end to it!! Wanna know why??? Well.... for my case, I am being redeployed to another Unit, but soon enough that Unit is also being subsidiarised....... It is like a proverb "Out of the tiger's mouth, into the lion's mouth instead"......

See how frustrated the whole situation is???? To be frank with you all..... at first I really feel angry and frustrated for all that the management have done!! But after giving it a deep thought and a good discussion with my husband, and with a new plan in hand..... things seems to change for me. With a strong decision in mind, I decided to leave the company through a scheme called VSS. This is no looking back for me and no regrets as well. Afterall it is only four years earlier than my expected plan.... It is better to leave than to live in stress, working in such an unstable situation!

Lucky me, as just before I left I managed to voice and pour out all my frustrations and anger through the two rounds of picket which our Union organised. I really feel satisfied!!!! Oh..... What A Big Relief!!!! It is through all frustrations and anger that I finally found self contentment........

"Contentment is a pearl of great price, and whoever procures it at the expense of ten thousand desires makes a wise and a happy purchase" ~ John Balguy

"If you are content, you have enough to live comfortably" ~ Plautus

"Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty" ~ Socrates

No comments: