Saturday, November 15, 2008

A 'Difficult & Bitter' trod down memory lane........

Most people do have both 'sweet & bitter' experiences of their working life, but it is usually the sweet more than the bitter. But sadly for mine, it is the opposite way round!! The sole reason being, spending three quarters of my working life in the "Hard-Solid" place so-called 'STORE'!! You can read more from my earlier blog dated February 22nd.

Whenever I think back on my working life in the store, it sure brings chills down to my spine!!! Let me share with all of you my 'Difficult & Bitter' journey then.........

The location of work is in the Industrial areas, at that time there isn't any shophouses located near it & bus transportation is only once in an hour. The first shock when I reported duty was "I am the first to break the store's tradition of all men environment!" At first I thought...... well, I am the "thorns among the bushes" - sure no one dare to bully me!!! But as the days pass....... I came to realise that this saying doesn't work....... WHY??? There goes the remark from my colleague......."If man do such work, she also have to do, what's the difference"!

Another thing which I don't understand is, why the whole place have to be locked up, including the office area during lunch time???? So...... wanna know where I stay at lunch??? For this I really have to thank a senior male colleague, Mr. Lim, for his kindness in letting me use his 'self-made' small wooden table & chair, located at one of the 'open warehouse' in the store compound. With my home-pack lunch, that is how I spend my lunch time, and mind you...... once the wind blows, the dust flies all over (as it is an open-warehouse) and........ you can imagine how much dust I have to inhale as well as swallowed together with my lunch!!!!! All those caused me my day-in and day-out "Throat Irritation"!!! For those colleagues from the other sections who used to come over to store to collect their materials, guess by now you all understand why I tend to cough often & having this habit of clearing my throat - it is not a habit, but an uncontrollable action due to my throat irritation. Medications at that time are of no avail, but luckily after I left working there, the irritation gradually goes off - thank God!!!

Throughout my 20 years 3 & a half months working there, I really worked all out. Carrying of materials & items (all receipts, issues & packagings) are no stranger to me!! Perspiring 'tons of sweats' is no less than the male colleagues!!! Of all tasks I do, there is one thing which I tell myself that I will never do - Driving a Forklift!!!

Friends....... have you ever realise that carrying too heavy loads using the wrong ways or postures can really caused harm to our body???? When we are young, we might not realise it, but if we continue to take things forgranted it will be our own self to suffer silently in the end! But what can we do???? We need to earn our living??? We are being put there & paid for the job, so....... we have to do!

I wonder, how many management (especially those big companies) really care for their employees???? Spending so much sponsoring for purpose of 'image of the company', but never give a thought to it's own employees! "Welfare should start from the home!"

Though our country have this "Occupational, Safety and Health Act" but......... how many really follow the act???? Even there is a committe being formed in the company itself....... they are just for show, everything is only at it's surface. So, dear female friends....... make sure that if your children (especially girls) is looking for a job, do bear in mind that, if the job requires carrying of heavy loads (not necessarily be in the store only), and if can be prevented, please do so as "Prevention is better than cure!" Remember that getting this after effect of such actions will be the rest of our life's suffering, this is what doctors called it Osteoartrities, which affects not only the joints but also the nerves of our body!!

This is my very personal & sincere advise to all people out there, as I belief that all of us wish to have a healthy & happy life when we gets older. So friends.........

"Having good health, being able to breathe and be happy, that's one of the most beautiful gifts"
~ Roy Ayers ~

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties"
~ Henri Frederic Amiel ~

No comments: