Thursday, September 4, 2008

A Narrow Escape!

This phrase sure sounds familiar to most people........ have read it in story books or even in newspapers or magazines........ it can be real happenings or just a make-up story by some authors. But....... have any of you ever really experienced a scenario such as "A Narrow Escape"??

Let me share with you what I experienced and which I will never forget for the whole of my life - for as long as I live!!

As usual, me and my two other colleagues are on our official duty to another state. Things get on well for the first few days until the final night of our stay. One of our colleague there invited me and another colleague to have dinner at one of the popular spot in that town. He then came to pick us up from our hotel and off we go........

When we reached the food court, we get ourselves seated, and he ordered some popular dishes. While the food is being served, we eat and at the same time chit-chatting away....... At that moment, the two of us from Kuching are really feeling great and enjoying ourselves, as having a colleague treating us for dinner. This will sure be the feeling for those who go traveling on official duty (that is away from our own hometown) and having someone kind enough to take the trouble to fetch us and bring us for dinner.

Before we finish eating, we suddenly heard some loud voices shouting and in just a while we saw two groups of people starting a fight!! A man seen holding a long 'parang' in his hand came towards another group of man and started to swing his parang at them. The other group bring up chairs in order to defend themselves. The sound of the parang chopping on the plastic chairs really seems scary indeed!!

As the fight gets nearer we then decided to get off from our seated place, but as we get up from our chairs and walk a little further off, those groups of man started running towards us. Then everyone present there started to run. I ran and then got splited up from my two other colleagues. What I could hear are sounds of chairs being thrown and flew every corner and mind you..... it happened, just right behind me!!! At that moment, I could hear my heart beating very fast! Being so scared and not knowing where to run and what to do, I suddenly run towards a wall, stoop down and close my eyes. At that moment I just wish that they won't stop behind me, but lucky enough those two groups of men continue on with their running and chasing.

Realising that they are gone, I got up on my poor restless feet and try looking around for my colleagues. Finally, I saw them at the other side, waving at me. It was only then that I feel relief! Even after feeling relief, I can still feel my whole body trembling, my heart still beating heavily and the happenings still lingers in my mind for the whole night.

To recall back this incident, it is really a blessing indeed! Despite chairs being thrown and flying all over, luckily I didn't got hit from it and having to run and jump (jump due to chairs all over) I wasn't being 'stampede'. It is indeed 'A Narrow Escape' for us all................

No comments: