Wednesday, April 8, 2009

An old, personal "bicycle-tale" to share..........

About a week ago on my way home, while I was waiting patiently for the traffic light to turn green, I happen to see an old man slowly paddling his old bicycle passing through the long line of heavy traffic. Coming to think of 'bicycle'........ well...... it is rarely seen on the road these days, especially at highways!!!

Watching that poor, old man struggling his way through the heavy traffic really brings me back to my old days. Remembering how we (me and my brothers) learn to ride a bicycle, with no adult at our side during the learning process....... no proper straight roads to cycle but round and round in between the trees, such as rambutan, jack fruit, and many others which I can't remember. The 'learning to ride a bicycle' process haven't been easy for us as we have to fall & got hurt uncountable times, especially when the earth is not level due to the roots of the trees. Unlike children today, they have tricycles, but during our days, the bicycle which we learn to ride is an adult bicycle....... can't explain much, but let me show u how it looks like.........

As a small kid, just imagine how big & tall the bicycle is for us....... so, how do we learn to ride it as we can't even get to it's seat????? It's no hindrance to us!! Aha..... we don't have to sit on to ride it...... just paddling while standing - smart right!!! Another thing to share with you all about the bicycle which we use at that time........ "NO TYRES". You might wonder why??? Cos' they are old, unused bicycles of my grandfather, father & uncles. So, by now you all get to understand why I mention earlier that our 'learning to ride a bicycle' process haven't been easy for us! Let me again summarize it: A big, tall, 'adult-man' bicycle, with no tyres on it and cycling through roots of trees!!! Though we learn cycling through the hard way, but we really enjoy those childhood days.

Watching that old man paddling his bicycle brings me back to 31 years ago, which I have this reminiscence to share.

After I completed my Senior Cambridge, I enrolled for my Typing & Bookeeping Classes at the one time famous "Victory Institute". Each morning I have to cycle there (roughly about 20 minutes), carrying an umbrella, if the sun is out. Everything went on fine till one unlucky day, as I was on my way back from class......... As I was cycling through a small stoney road, I saw a lorry carrying long woods (woods sticking out from the back of the lorry), driving along side with me and not bothering of my existence there. Looking at the situation, I gave myself a fast thought "If that lorry turns the woods are sure to hit me"...... sure enough the 'stupid lorry' really turns and the wood hit me and off me and my bicycle landed onto the side which is full of leaves, weeds & grass. Lucky enough there is no drain or else I wonder what will happen as there is no others present at that time. I managed to crawl up, get my bike and push to the road, lucky enough my bike is not damage. With my heart pounding hard & furious, I then headed home with severe wounds on my hand, which was knocked and scratched by the wood. When I reached home & after hearing of the incident my father was very furious and he even lodge a complaint to the owner of the Wood Factory, which is also situated at that area.

This is the type of bicycle which I used at that time........

Today, whenever I see someone cycling on the busy road, memories of the past really flush through my mind, it really reminds me of my 'bitter-sweet' old days!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really admire you and your brothers for being able to ride such big, 'man' bicycle. Thumbs up to you all.

I remember seeing one of such bicycle at my granduncle's place couple of years back. It is rather unique or antique, so to speak.