Saturday, January 18, 2014

The instant increase in prices.....

As the Lunar New Year is approaching, prices of most items are being jet-up!  I was at the Stutong Wet Market this morning and all of a sudden lots of big prawns, fishes, sea cucumbers, etc are being put up for sell, whereby in early January I have been trying to buy some prawns but couldn't get any good and fresh ones.  

As usual, months before year end many fish mongers are stocking up their seafood and keeping it till before the Lunar New Year as that would fetch very high prices.  The prices of those items will increase each week until the eve of the festival.  

I am very much interested to see how much those sea cucumbers would cost, so with some patience myself and Janet are standing behind some customers who are intending to buy.  To our surprise one sea cucumber, roughly the length of 1 foot, after sitting on the weighing machine comes up to RM39.00!! My! My!!

I used to wonder?????  During this season every year, businessmen will just increase the prices of their items according to their whims and fancies.  Many a times, it really caught us by surprised as the same item on sell in two different places (supermarkets, wet markets, stalls, etc) will fetch a totally different price!  Why can this be???  I thought we have the authorities with rules in placed to control the prices of items??? Something must to be wrong somewhere!  

No comments: