Tuesday, January 13, 2009

A Chinese New Year Vegetable......

How many have ever buy, cook and eat this 'root' vegetable which is only available during the Chinese Lunar New Year?????
Most might have seen it in the market or even supermarket at this time of the year, but is wondering how to cook it & how it tastes like, right????

Though I've cooked and eaten this vegetable every Chinese New Year, but I only knew it by it's Chinese name which is 'ya-gu'. Not only until today have I learn that it is known as 'Arrowroot' in Engligh - goodness me.........

I usually cooked it with leek & meat slices and it tastes almost like potatoes, except that it is a bit crunchy. I've heard that it makes good 'Chips'....... maybe if I've got the time, will try to experience making it, who knows it tastes better than potato chip!!

For those who haven't try cooking & tasting it, do buy some home the next time you do your marketing - it's a dish worth trying!!! Remember....... it is only available one season of the year, so don't miss your chance!

No comments: