Wednesday, July 9, 2008

A Scary Experience of Hail........

I wonder how many people ever experience hail in a tropical country like Malaysia???? We all have been experiencing very heavy down pour of rain with scary lightning and thunder......... guess that is not as scary as experiencing hail!!!!

What reminds me of hail???? As I was in the car this afternoon, waiting to fetch my son from school, I heard big drops of rain dropping onto the roof of my car........ There I began to wonder whether it is rain or hail??? Then I take a good look...... really feel relief as it is only raindrops.

This really recalls my scary experience of hail, couple of years back. I was on my way back from work and suddenly there is a heavy thunderstorm, but no rain...... Soon after that, I heard noises like stones being thrown over our cars..... at that time the traffic is very heavy...... As I take a good look at it, goodness..... I saw something like ice dropping over my windscreen, some small but others are as big as a transparent marble. I was really scared that it might break my windscreen!! As the wind is so strong, I saw roofs, planks and others being blown into the air. Suddenly came a zinc roof which flew to my direction and "Bang", hit the roof of my car and off it flew again........ After the hit from that zinc roof, I really get so scared that I can feel my whole body trembling!! But in that moment of fear, I suddenly pray out loud to God.... "Oh God, please protect me and help me to reach my destination safely" With God's protection and guidance I manage to get home safely and soon after that, the thunderstorm and hail also subsided.

Just to refresh ourselves, rain develops when growing clouds droplets become too heavy to remain in the cloud and as a result, fall toward the surface as rain. But for hail, it is a large frozen raindrop produced by intense thunderstorms. There is really a big difference between the two.

As I do some research on hail, here's some facts which I would like to share with all.......
  • On 11 July 1990, softball-sized hail in Denver, Colorado, caused $625 million in property damage, mostly to authomobiles and roofs.
  • People are also seriously injured - battered by softball-sized hail
  • Hail also does a great deal of damage to crops. In U.S. costs run into hundreds of millions of dollars annually.
Guess, there must be people out there, who never experienced hail - thinking of experiencing it.... but not for me - once is enough!!!

No comments: