Friday, February 22, 2008

A Sharing On My Working Life......

I started working in March 1981 in a Government Department, which after 5 years being transformed into a privatised company. Being appointed as a Storekeeper, my place of work of course is in a Store. You might ask - What do you mean by store?? Well.... day in day out I am surrounded by all male colleagues (as no female working in store, especially in the early years); working under tall, huge buildings with BIG Iron Doors to every entrance - which is called Warehouses or Godowns; situated in an Industrial Zone whereby everyday we inhale and are exposed to the smelly and dirty polluted air; the only means of transport/equipments we use and see are Forklifts and Reach Truck; and worst are all big, huge, heavy and tall items (items stacked up very high) surrounding us in all four corners of our workplace. I used to wonder...... "What happen if any of those big, huge items accidentedly drop or collapse... What will become of us?? "A Flattened Dwarf!!" Why I used the word "Dwarf"??? Well... simple..... The items are all so big and huge which makes us all like a DWARF!

Despite such a situation and environment..... I continued to be a persistent, hardworking and responsible worker, not with a word of complain! Just imagine, when I was pregnant, I still continue with my work as usual without any second thought concerning my own health and safety. At times when I look back, I really thank God for His protection and guidance over me and that is why I am able to have 3 healthy children despite all odds! "Praise The Lord"!

In between the years, I have on two occasion apply to HR requesting for a sectional transfer, but I was turn down - so sad indeed! Despite that, I never give up hope. It was only after 20 years 3 and a half months of my working life in Store that my application was finally approved and I was transfer to another Unit.

So to speak, Human Resourse Department is a very important unit in any company - big or small. HR Officers are responsible in the management of all the employees, who are the biggest assets of a company, thus they should not be biaise, should be able to put themself in another person's shoes, should be 'Human' not 'inhuman' and they should also be able to perfom their responsibilities with a sincere heart! Another important point is, they should not have the attitute of 'I like you, I don't like you'. Every employee have the right to voice out what is in their mind and they should not be punished for speaking up. Who knows their suggestions or ideas are good!

This is easier talk than done! In today's genuine environment it is not such.... There are bound to be repercussions!!

Don't worry so much about repercussions my friends... instead get to know your Rights! If you know your rights then you won't be in a 'dead-end'. When things happen you know how to go about with it. So.... Cheer Up.... Live Life To The Fullest!!
"Enegry And Persistence Conquer All Things!"

No comments: