Friday, August 14, 2009

Through the pages of my working life......... [Part 1]

During the days of my era, for as long as I can recall, an academic qualification of 'Senior Cambridge' is enough to pursue a good career. Off course there are a handful studious ones who pursue into Higher School Certificate, commonly known as Form 6.

Like many others, I then enrolled myself for The London Chamber of Commerce and Industry pursuing my Typewriting, which I managed to complete to obtain Higher Stage Certificate in the year 1978.

I've tried hard then to apply for jobs, both in the Government and Private Sectors but there wasn't much luck then. Surprisingly sometime in February 1979, I received a phone call from my Typewriting Institute, recommending me a one month temporary relief job as Clerk/Typist at Serian District Hospital, which is roughly about 40 miles from Kuching. Lucky me cos I have an uncle who work there as well as living some 4 miles away from the hospital. As that was my first experience in working life, I tried to learn as much as I could as well as adhering to the instructions of those senior staffs. When I left I was given a very good recommendation letter by the Medical Officer of Health.

From 29th June 1979 to 31st October 1980, I was being accepted to work as a temporary typist-cum-secretary with the Statistics Department, handling the 1980 Population Census Project. It's indeed a great experience as well as getting to know many people in such a big office. When the Census Office wind up in October 1980, I was then emplaced into the Statistics Department as a Temporary Enumerator till I get a permanent job. (to be continued.......)


A glimpse of our Typing Class in progress..............
I am seated on the 3rd seat of the extreme right row

An annual dinner for all staffs "Pesta Statistik"
I am seen singing on the stage
I am also the Master of Ceremony for the night (my first attempt!)

No comments: