Saturday, March 7, 2009

"Wisdom Teeth" ain't that WISE afterall.....

Throughout my life I never come to realise that "Wisdom Teeth" can really cause so much of a problem - well..... what we know is "If your Wisdom Teeth really DO grow, then it will be very painful during this stage, after that it will be fine!"

Dear friends, it is not as simple as that! We really need to come across this situation in order to know the real thing about this so called "Wisdom Teeth".

Why is it called "Wisdom Teeth?" The 3rd Molar Teeth or known as Wisdom Teeth because they appear so late - much later than the other teeth, at an age where people are presumably wiser than as a child, when the other teeth erupts. Aha..... I just get to know the reason for it's name - after I browse through the Internet for it's detailed information!

I still remember, sometimes towards the middle of last year, when my daughter Karen informed me of the swelling of her gum & severe pain, I could only tell her that "I think you are having your Wisdom Teeth". Normally we tends to think in that way cos' what we know is having such teeth growing is very painful, worst is I, myself haven't experience it either (from what I know!!)

She did go to a dentist (at the town where she study), but nothing is being said about the Wisdom Teeth, just "you need to do scaling". It is not only when she came back for her semester break recently, that I brought her to a dentist in Kuching and to our surprises the Doc said "You have already got your 2 top Wisdom Teeth fully grown but your 2 bottom ones are no where to be seen, so you need to do an X-Ray to confirm whether they are there but not erupted..... or.....or...... Anyway, the X-Ray was immediately done then, & found that her teeth cannot erupt fully as it doesn't grow upright, so these 2 teeth have to be removed through an operation, then again could only be done by a dental surgeon, not a normal dentist. Another scary thing is (which we just knew too), without the 2 bottom wisdom teeth, the other 2 top ones (which are already fully in place) needs to be extracted!! "Oh! my goodness!!"....... I really feel my heart jumped cos' not only that Karen have to have 2 operations of her wisdom teeth, but also extract the 2 fully grown healthy ones!!!

However, I should say that she is a brave girl, immediately she gave her consent to have one extracted, then another one a week later. The dentist is rather kind to write a recommendation letter for her to be referred to the General Hospital for the operation (as that's the only place where it can be done) and since her semester break is coming to an end, so she is referred to the hospital in the town where she pursue her study instead of in Kuching.

Yesterday, she got one of the teeth operated and the doctor is giving her antibiotics as she will be experiencing swelling & severe pain after the operation. Luckily, it's the weekend so she can have her complete rest.

To come to think of it....... "Wisdom Teeth" are not that wise afterall..........

No comments: